Vegan, gluten-free mac & cheese? Could it be?! Well, the vegan part is totally up to you. I used parmesan cheese and a sprinkle of mozzarella cheese in my batch — but you could leave it out or sub in a dairy-free option. This isn’t the first time I’ve attempted this mac & cheese, but it’s the first time I finally got it right! I mostly credit my handy-dandy hand mixer Ryo so kindly bought (so I’d make more cookies).
The key ingredients in this recipe are Trader Joe’s Organic Brown Rice Fusilli ($1.99), sweet potato and original, un-sweetened almond milk (though any dairy-free milk will do). The brown rice fusilli has only two ingredients (Yes, TWO ingredients): organic brown rice and water.
3/4 package of Trader Joe’s Organic Brown Rice Fusilli (6 cups cooked)
2 cups sweet potato, mashed
1 cup unsweetened original almond milk
2 tbsp parmesan cheese (omit or use other)
1/2 tsp of each: Basil, oregano, black pepper (omit or switch it up)
*Bonus: Add some leafy greens like kale, spinach or arugula
- Preheat your oven to 375°F.
- Cook Trader Joe’s Organic Brown Rice Fusilli according to package instructions.
- Cook the sweet potato in the microwave (or bake/boil) until mashable. I tossed mine in the microwave for time’s sake and peeled after letting it cool slightly. The skin comes right off the potato after microwaving — but you’re welcome to peel ahead of time.
- In a large mixing bowl, mash potato. Add almond milk and seasonings to the bowl, and then blend with a hand mixer. For creamier mac & cheese, add an extra 1/4+ cup almond milk.
- Stir in 6 cups cooked pasta and any leafy greens.
- In a non-stick or lightly-grease baking pan, pour mac & cheese, then top with a layer of mozzarella if desired. Bake until cheese melts.
Honestly, you don’t have to bake it at all if you’re not melting any cheese. I was eating it out of the bowl before putting it in the oven. LMK if you try this recipe in the comment section below! Enjoy!